Kenya has been given a thumbs up for the progress made in the preparations for the IAAF World under 18 Championships games set to be hosted from12th to 16th July this year the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) chairman Mwangi Muthee has said.
Muthee said that the IAAF have been inspecting the progress since June 2016 and the last inspection only ended yesterday and they have been given a thumbs up for the progress so far on the timelines and quality of works.
Muthee speaking at the Kenyatta University on Thursday during an inspection of the athlete’s villages said that everything is shaping out very and they are happy as the LOC.
“The government is spending over Kshs.3 billion on this event and needs to get value for the investments we have told the constructors that we don’t want scandals in 2017 because this event is benchmark for Kenya to hold future events,” explained Muthee.
Muthee called on other government departments to take advantage of the event to actualize their goals and missions saying.
“The event will be live in over 200 countries for six days and this will be monumental, we are urging the Ministry of Tourism and Brand Kenya to join take advantage of this and market Kenya to the world.”
“The value of this event could be to a tune of one billion dollars and that is why the government is spending a lot of money to ensure its success,” said Muthee.
Muthee called on Kenyans to come out in large numbers in support if their athletes and also to celebrate the successful hosting of the event.
“Kenyans should come out in huge numbers to cheer the Kenyan teams and make sure they take advantage of the event to invest and do business during the period of the games,” he said.
He added that the government will continue supporting the sporting activities and empowering youths in sports.
He said that they will be hosting over 6,000 people participating in the games and that they will ensure they will ensure they are well catered for and that security and traffic will be well managed by good numbers of personnel.